Monday, July 27, 2009

Omani Time

All of the Omanis that I have met to this point have been wonderful, generous and genuinely nice people, bless them all. However, since applying for work with them I have discovered one previously unknown side to their character. When it comes to work, contracts, etc, they are much more casual than your average westerner. This I have come to learn over the last six months without ever setting foot in the country.

I was first tipped off to this rather carefree attitude when I was asked to go to the interview in Melbourne, Australia. The lovely woman who arranged the interview couldn't tell me anything about the job, but told me that I would be reimbursed for travel costs and her instructions for getting from the airport to the embassy were, literally, "the address of the embassy is at the bottom of this email. Go there". Hmmm.

Now for the last five months I have been assured by my polite and friendly contact in Oman that everything is being organised to fly me to Oman to begin work there. I have not seen a contract as yet. People who know Arab culture better than me assure me that this is to be expected, since they expect to be taken at their word and the contract will be sorted when I arrive in Oman. Great. I have also been waiting for tickets from New Zealand to Oman. The same pleasant man in Oman has been making similar promises for roughly three months. I am now about three weeks from the date of departure. But, insha'allah, they will be sent to me tomorrow by email.

I am honestly expecting to enjoy myself while I am in Oman, when I get there (insha'allah, hehehe). I also think that their way of getting things done is going to be the biggest difficulty for me. From what I can tell so far, their casual approach to work beats even the French (whom I had previously thought unbeatable). The biggest difference is that the Omanis are so much more pleasant when they are telling you to try again tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I like your Blog Mike, I am pretty sure you will have a great time there. I can't wait to read all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool mate, looking forward to your postings. I've put a link to your page from my blog. Greg

    ReplyDelete